IN SUMMARY: PBMs are keeping a smaller share of rebates and passing more along to their clients. Instead, PBMs are collecting more revenue through various fees — the same shift the Trump administration envisions — and through a practice called “spread pricing,” according to a Pew analysis.
- [inlinetweet prefix=”” tweeter=”” suffix=””]80 percent of Internet users, or about 93 million Americans, have searched for a health-related topic online, according to a study by the Pew Internet & American Life Project[/inlinetweet].
- That’s up from 62 percent of Internet users who said they went online to research health topics in 2001, the Washington research firm found.
- [inlinetweet prefix=”” tweeter=”” suffix=””]Most frequently people went online to look up information about a specific disease or medical problem (63 percent) or a particular medical treatment or procedure (47 percent)[/inlinetweet].
- The new study indicates that looking for health or medical information is one of the most popular activities online.
- The research firm also found that more than half of people who had conducted a health-related search recently did it for someone else, either a spouse, child, friend or loved one.
- “A lot of people aren’t finding what they need,” says Fox. “That points to the need for better health literacy and search engines paying attention to health as (an in-depth) topic.”
According to a report from Pew Internet four in ten adults in the U.S. are caring for an adult or child with significant health issues, up from 30% in 2010. Caring for a loved one is an activity that cuts across most demographic groups, but is especially prevalent among adults ages 30 to 64, a group traditionally still in the workforce. [inlinetweet prefix=”” tweeter=”” suffix=””] When asked about the specific impact of the internet 59% of caregivers with internet access say that online resources have been helpful to their ability to provide care and support for the person in their care and 52% of caregivers with internet access say that online resources have been helpful to their ability to cope with the stress of being a caregiver.[/inlinetweet] So why isn’t there more content on drug websites targeted at caregivers ?