KEY POINT: According to Facebook a lot of people join health groups on the social site to share experiences and ask questions. Facebook announced Tuesday that it wants to create a new type of community: health support groups in which people can even ask questions anonymously. Facebook is doing this to get more online digital dollars, but DTC marketers should be careful.Continue reading
- According to Reuters, a small little-known group of experts who advise U.S. health insurers on new drugs says that none of the three new migraine drugs offers a clear benefit over drugs already on the market, suggesting that they could consider them for optional coverage (which would limit their use).
- Insurers have also signaled that a lot of the new immunotherapy cancer drugs may also face significant hurdles unless they show a clear benefit of drugs
lredyon the market.
IN SUMMARY: Proponents of DTC advertising argue that advertisements can raise awareness about treatments and health conditions, though others say that DTC advertising can lead to overprescribing. However, the authors of a recent study found that information seeking behavior following exposure to DTC advertising. Some of these studies associated information seeking more strongly with patients with chronic conditions and those with a more positive view of DTC advertising.Continue reading
KEY IDEA: Patients are people. Our healthcare system is not designed for people, it’s designed for conditions. We spend too much money on treatments that may prolong life a few weeks but at what about the quality of life and the patient’s voice?Continue reading
IN SUMMARY:Continue reading
- The Blue Cross Blue Shield, The Health of America Report® examined the health of millennials.
- Millennials (ages 34-36) had a Health Index of 93.8 in 2017.
- 43 million women have heart disease – more than HALF do not do exercise to offset the disease.
- 61 percent of the 43 million women with heart disease weren’t meeting the physical activity guidelines recommended by the American Heart Association (AHA).
ealthcarecosts were about $4,000 more for women who weren’t exercising compared to those who were.
IN SUMMARY: I have been critical of big pharma because they keep their loyalty to Wall Street instead of patients. When the really good people within the industry learn to take risks and be heard the industry might change.Continue reading