QUICK READ: Those of us who love the pharma industry are responsible for being the change we want to see. This is true in all functions from healthcare marketing to agency people who work with clients.Continue reading
- In a Medscape poll of more than 250 clinicians, more physicians said that electronic health record (EHR) systems have decreased quality of care (44%) in their primary workplace than increased it (40%).
- The poll also indicated that few physicians or nurses were involved in the decision of which EHR to use in their primary workplace.
- When asked what aspects of EHRs increased quality of care, the top answer among physicians was the ability to locate and review patient information more easily (59%), followed by the ability to electronically subscribe (49%), and portability/access to patient records by all members of the care team (44%).
- Physicians’ top answer was to make the systems more intuitive/user-friendly (44%), followed by allowing greater interoperability and record sharing (30%). Nurses/APRNs would most like to see more interoperability and better record sharing (33%), followed by making the systems more user-friendly (30%).
- Edelman’s annual trust barometer research recorded an increase of 6 points in the U.S. that helped pharma reach a new rating score of 44
. Theindustry would need to reach 50 to get to neutral territory and to 60 to be considered trusted under the Edelman ratings.
- Overall, trust in healthcare—which includes pharma, biotech and life sciences, hospitals and clinics, insurance and consumer health—increased by 8 points in the U.S. to reach 61.
KEY IDEA: As the money continues to flow into digital health start-ups there is a vast disconnect between what consumers want and what Silicon Valley thinks they want.Continue reading
- McKinsey had built itself into the world’s most influential consultancy.
- As a consulting company, it wasn’t regulated.
- The Massachusetts attorney general has accused McKinsey of fanning the flames of the opioid epidemic.
- McKinsey had instructed the maker of a powerful opioid on how to “turbocharge sales” of the drug, how to counter efforts by drug enforcement agents to reduce opioid use and how to “counter the emotional messages from mothers with teenagers that overdosed” on the drug.
KEY POINT: According to Facebook a lot of people join health groups on the social site to share experiences and ask questions. Facebook announced Tuesday that it wants to create a new type of community: health support groups in which people can even ask questions anonymously. Facebook is doing this to get more online digital dollars, but DTC marketers should be careful.Continue reading
- According to Reuters, a small little-known group of experts who advise U.S. health insurers on new drugs says that none of the three new migraine drugs offers a clear benefit over drugs already on the market, suggesting that they could consider them for optional coverage (which would limit their use).
- Insurers have also signaled that a lot of the new immunotherapy cancer drugs may also face significant hurdles unless they show a clear benefit of drugs
lredyon the market.