Yes, there will be changes in healthcare in the coming years but put away the thoughts that telehealth and wearable devices will revolutionize healthcare. More and more patients demand a level of service they want with the increased costs of health insurance premiums. Here are things I believe are more realistic.
LEAD-IN- Recent data confirms that health care professionals are using the Internet more and spending less time with drug company reps. How much should you spend on an HCP portal, and how do you measure its success?
SUMMARY: When it comes to reaching health care professionals, there is only one choice as far as I am concerned, and that’s Medscape. Working with them has always been a pleasure, and we can always “list match” targeted physicians.
SUMMARY: Omnichannel marketing employs the simultaneous implementation of channels across personal, non-personal, and media and addresses the integrated needs of multiple stakeholders – consumers/patients, healthcare professionals, and payers. Sounds good but is that the answer?
SUMMARY: Quantitative and qualitative data was gained through surveys with EPG Health’s multi-stakeholder databases (HCP, pharma, and service providers) and interviews conducted with pharma execs by Impatient Health. The objective was to identify new and preferred pathways for the creation and delivery of medical information.
- A survey of more than 4,000 physicians showed that virtually every physician uses social media for personal reasons, while two-thirds use it for professional reasons.
- 86% of diagnostic device companies, 65% of pharma marketers, and over half of biotechs use social as a critical part of their marketing mix to reach HCPs.
- Doximity was flagged for having anti-vaccine information.
- HCPs don’t necessarily want pharma trying to sell products via social media.
- The best approach is to use social media to connect HCPs to clincial information and drug trials.
- 62% of HCPs spend 3 hours per day accessing digtal resources.
- More HCPs chose to use smartphones to access digital resources as well and usage has increased when accessing a wide variety of professional content.
- HCPs increasingly turn to trusted colleagues on digital networks for reliable information.
- Source: Build Relationships and Personalize Your Interactions With HCPs (Wolters Kluwer)
- Health experts, including those on an external advisory committee to the FDA, are skeptical that Biogen’s drug will even successfully slow the progression of Alzheimer’s after late-stage clinical trials yielded mixed results and are angry the FDA approved the product.
- The FDA’s recent approval of aducanumab (Aduhelm) shows just how badly the agency has failed the public.
- In late April, the FDA’s Oncologic Drugs Advisory Committee reviewed six accelerated approvals — a provisional pathway — involving a group of cancer immunotherapies where clinical trials had failed to confirm that the drugs extended survival or improved quality of life. Yet, in four of the six cases, the advisory committee voted to keep the accelerated approvals intact. (source: Medpage)
- In response to the FDA’s approval, three members of the Peripheral and Central Nervous System Drugs Advisory Committee who opposed approval of the drug quit the panel in protest.
- Physicians are signaling that they now want to see the “complete date” regarding new drug approvals.