- igital health global venture capital broke records again in 2018 with 698 deals raising a total of $9.5bn.
- Funding for the digital health sector continues to rise, at a 32% increase year-over-year – a pace that will be difficult to maintain this funding pace going into 2019 unless there is “a clear exit path for investors,”.
- In the United States, digital health companies raised close to $7 billion in 2018 with the remaining $2.5 billion coming out of other countries.
- Most doctors say they have not recommended any general health and wellness apps or wearables to their patients. (Source: Kantar)
- For medical-grade devices, the results are similar, with 70% of doctors saying they have not recommended medical-grade web-connected devices to their patients. (Source: Kantar).
- U.S. adults, internet use for health information is vast and growing; 8 in 10 adults say they use the internet for health and wellness purposes, an increase of 13% since 2015. (Source: Kantar)
- Ttwo in five ailment sufferers have seen or heard healthcare advertising on the internet or on a mobile device within the last year. (Kantar)
- Among the 61% of patients who had researched prescription drugs online in the past 12 months, 34% had requested a specific prescription drug at least once.
Among patients who had requested an Rx, 25% were prompted to do so by a TV ad and 25% by ads seen online. (DRG)
- An average 80 DTC ads air every hour on TV (Axios)
KEY TAKEAWAY: For DTC marketers, TV is king and will continue to dominate most DTC budgets. 771,368 DTC ads were shown in 2016 , the last full year for which data is available, an increase of almost 65 percent over 2012. TV ad spending by pharmaceutical companies has more than doubled in the past four years, making it the second-fastest-growing category on television during that time.
According to Kantar Media’s annual physical segments 60% of patients had a physical last year. The problem is that this statistic varies widely by age group and income. We also have to remember that some people believe they had a physical last year when in fact it has been several years since their last physical.