IN SUMMARY: Most patient’s are not paying attention to DTC TV ads and when they do they are going online to learn more but pharma is being left out of the “conversation” because they don’t provide the information that people want to ask their doctor for an Rx.Continue reading
KEY IDEA: Patients are people. Our healthcare system is not designed for people, it’s designed for conditions. We spend too much money on treatments that may prolong life a few weeks but at what about the quality of life and the patient’s voice?Continue reading
IN SUMMARY: Some pharma companies are turning to Instagram influencers to help reach patients but when pharma pays these influencers is it crossing the line or compensating someone for their time?Continue reading
- A Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) survey and followup analysis by Kaiser Health News found that 26% of 1,200 respondents said they didn’t have a go-to primary care physician.
- Nearly half (45%) of 18-to-29-year-olds said they didn’t have a primary care doctor.
- Millennials tend to want to have access to care right away, they want it immediately and they want to be able to see a doctor quickly.
- Lilly has decided to inform patients about the list price for Trulicity on their website.
- The information may add to patient anger and raise more questions.
- What makes a drug worth $8000 a year and who get’s the money?
- The average American is heavier than at the start of the 21st Century — and very close to being obese, according to
Centersfor Disease Control data on body metrics.
- The average American man is 5-feet, 9-inches tall and weighs 198 pounds; an average woman is 5-feet, 4-inches and 171 pounds.
- The Obesity Society, a scientific research organization, this month classified obesity as a worldwide, non-communicable chronic disease.
- Baby boomers are aging alone more than any generation in U.S. history, and the resulting loneliness is a looming public health threat. (Source: Wall Street Journal)
- That amounts to about eight million people in the U.S. without close kin, the main source of companionship in old age, and their share of the population is projected to grow.
- Researchers have found that loneliness takes a physical toll, and is as closely linked to early mortality as smoking up to 15 cigarettes a day or consuming more than six alcoholic drinks a day. Loneliness is even worse for longevity than being obese or physically inactive.