IN SUMMARY: Online health seekers are largely on their own when it comes to health content. Pharma has the opportunity to engage online health seekers via a customer-centered content strategy but it requires a realignment of processes within the organization.Continue reading
IN SUMMARY: When I worked on the Cialis launch I was lucky to have the budget to make our eMarketing campaign a huge success. I realize now that having the budget to really succeed in pharma eMarketing is a rare event.Continue reading
- Death rates from cancer declined by 19%. Death rates from heart disease declined by 22% until 2011 but increased by 4% from then to 2017.
- Cancer was still the major killer and had a higher death rate compared to heart disease. In fact, the cancer mortality rate in 2017 was nearly 40% higher than that for heart disease.
- There is now strong evidence excessive weight is the cause of at least 12 cancers, five more than when the last WCRF recommendations were published in 2007.
- Obesity is likely to overtake smoking as the “number one risk factor for cancer” within decades.
- Richard Gonzalez, C.E.O. of AbbVie, told a congressional hearing that his pay was tied to the price of the company’s drug for rheumatoid arthritis and other conditions, Humira.
- The annual per-patient cost of Humira doubled between 2012 and 2018 to $38,000.
- In 2016 the $3.3 billion spent on the drug by Medicare and Medicaid accounted for 31 cents of every dollar spent on Humira in the U.S.
IN SUMMARY: Most patient’s are not paying attention to DTC TV ads and when they do they are going online to learn more but pharma is being left out of the “conversation” because they don’t provide the information that people want to ask their doctor for an Rx.Continue reading
KEY TAKEAWAY: Many of the highest-paying employers in the health-care sector—and the entire S&P 500—were biotech companies, according to an analysis by The Wall Street Journal of annual disclosures for hundreds of big U.S. companies. While pharma may argue that these salaries are needed to attract talented people who take a job for salary alone usually are bound by “golden handcuffs”Continue reading
- A month’s supply of Truvada costs roughly $6 to make and sells for more than $1,600 in the United States.
- Truvada was developed largely with taxpayer dollars.
- Gilead has earned $36.2 billion on Truvada since 2004, according to its annual reports.