Research, facts and commentary on today's healthcare
- A Humira prescription costs $38,000 a year. In 2012, the drug cost about $19,000 a year.
- An analysis released last month by my organization, the Initiative for Medicines, Access & Knowledge, shows that there have been an astonishing 247 patents filed on Humira.
- There are an average of 125 patent applications filed and 71 patents granted for each of the 12 highest-grossing drugs in America.
- 247 patent applications have been filed on Humira in the U.S. with the aim of delaying competition for 39 years.
- In 2016 the $3.3 billion spent on the drug by Medicare and Medicaid accounted for 31 cents of every dollar spent on Humira in the U.S.