There are bad decisions and then there are really bad decisions that have you scratching your head and asking “what in the hell were they thinking ?” First was the huge backlash of having someone promote your diabetes drug who was the champion of high fat and calorie meals now comes word that Ms Deen and her brother are being sued for sexual harassment. Just what Novo needed.
As I have written before I’m not sure who at Novo thought that hiring Ms Deen was such a great idea but I believe it probably had to be someone in a senior position who had the muscle to get this program pushed through despite the warning flags and thus lies the reason that so many pharma companies are in trouble.
I can’t believe that someone at Novo raised their hand and said “hiring this person as a spokesperson is not a good idea”. However when some senior person wants what he wants he usually gets it despite what others say or think.
Hiring Ms Deen as a spokesperson for diabetes was like hiring the fox to guard the chickens. She represented everything that was wrong about why most people get type 2 diabetes and God knows how many people gained extra weight because of her high fat & calorie meals.
Before anyone hires a spokesperson for their product they need to do a thorough background check but more importantly they need to test the concept with thought leaders and consumers. It’s obvious that Novo didn’t do any of those things and they could pay a huge price for lapses in judgement.
- Paula Deen And Brother Bubba Sued For Sexual Harassment (inquisitr.com)
- Did Novo make a huge mistake with Paula Deen ? (worldofdtcmarketing.com)
- Paula Deen: ‘I Woke Up Every Day Waiting To Die’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- The latest on Paula Deen may just shock you (bazaardaily.com)
- Woman claims harassment at Paula Deen restaurant (pbpulse.com)
- What People Are Saying About Southern Food and Paula Deen’s Diabetes (thedailymeal.com)